Monday, November 7, 2011

An Unexpected Reset

This weekend became an opportunity to reset my mind a little bit, and actually re-charge my "batteries." I ended up having an unexpected blogging break and it has helped me re-energize my efforts and clear my mind. I have been quite muddled lately, in my thinking and writing. I looked back at some older writing I did, back in law school and college, and it made me sad to see how articulate and precise of a writer I once was. At this point, I thing blogging, twitter, and being outside of academic circles has left me to be a creature of my own device. I have become "Gollum"-like in the way I think, write, and analyze life. Things make sense to me, but when I communicate with others something is 'lost in translation.'

Sometimes I think we all get caught up in the forrest, and we lose the trees. I know that when that happens to me, as it has recently, you start to get bogged down in the things that should come naturally. For me, writing has starting to get serious. I have tried to take on my 'tasks' and have even thought about writing some more substantial things. For those regular readers, I know that is a scary thought - me writing actual and legitimate literary work. That being said, I have found myself writing quite poorly, and at quite a shallow level. I have also found myself 'behind' on a few tasks that are time sensitive and it has made me feel (an appear) sloppy. Blogging has also put strain on me at a personal level because I spend more time doing it than I should, mostly because of my struggles 'with the pen.'

Now that I have had this reset, I am hoping that my mind will be a tad more clear, and that it will help be a more efficient and coherent writer. Let's see if that actually comes to fruition. I do know that in a few weeks, there will be another slight 'break' in blogging, but it shouldn't be anything too severe. Hopefully it will give me a chance to re-evaluate how things have been going since this weekend. A sort of progress report. In the end, I just want my blogging to be indicative of the type of thinker and person that I am, but also I want it to be both a spiritual outlet and a stone that sharpens my mind. If it isn't these things, I worry it becomes a detriment to myself and would therefore be unworthy of my time and effort. I don't think that is the case... but it is a worry sometimes. I think, though, that this weekend really helped me turn a corner and plan to use it as a springboard to jump back into shape.

Now... on to more substantial matters...

No comments:

Post a Comment