Monday, November 14, 2011

Earth: 'Not a very distinct place'

"Flying Bus" | Tom Johnson
There are a lot of things I wish I could do, and many things I pursue unable to really attain them because of small annoyances. Currently I am very interested and trying my hand at Trapping (along with Hunting.) It is difficult, because it is an art form really. It is a process, and not an event.

All that said, it is in the end a past-time, a hobby, a leisure activity if you will. It needs to be spiritual in some way, or it becomes lost within itself. Yes there are some people that live by it, that create an income, and while I wish I was one that was that proficient, it still would need to find its rightful place in my life. This is true of anything that is essentially part of the world, the earth.

From C.S. Lewis', The Great Divorce:
But what, you ask, of Earth? Earth, I think, will not be found by anyone to be in the end a very distinct place. I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven.
In the end, Earth isn't all that important, at least in the spiritual sense. Our lives are important, but what the earth gives and represents, its importance comparatively, is miniscule. Yet we treat it with such reverence. We long for things of this place, and put them above all else. Jobs, money, homes, vehicles. We pretend that we do it all for the fun of it, but then why are so many, with so much, always feeling and talking as if they have so little?

††† 

No comments:

Post a Comment