Friday, August 19, 2011

Fisheater Fail

Some of you may have heard or read about comments Archbishop Dolan, of New York, made concerning a return to "Meatless Fridays." If you didn't come across that info, you can read it on his blog. (yes he has a blog) It is his response to something that happened in England a few months back.

Meatless Fridays is also actually something that my family has been trying to implement for a while. I say trying because I am a pretty picky eater and until recently fish was not something I ate. This made Fridays in lent a real treat for my wife, who loves food. The menu usually consisted of: Macaroni and Cheese, Grilled Cheese and Peanut Butter and Jelly, sometimes cereal. Needless to say I was being sarcastic when I used the word treat.
On Wednesday, we picked up all the Salmon I caught this year from the Freezer/Packer place that we have process our fish and found out I had over 70lbs, plus about another 15-20+ lbs from some other fishing I did. That being said, I think we have enough to implement our "Fisheater" lifestyle.

So, low and behold today is Friday and my wife has some Fish thawing on the counter. So I decide: "I will make lunch for myself." Knowing that today is supposed to be a day of penance, and the idea of not eating meat is a bit of self denial, I went with the only logical choice for lunch:

A Bowl of Ice Cream

Something tells me I have to rethink my Friday menu options. I don't think this falls into the category of self-denial and penance. 

Fisheater Fail.


†††

No comments:

Post a Comment