Thursday, August 18, 2011

Did the Catholic News Agency go "too far" with the RCTV-Voris piece?

I recently posted on the RCTV-Voris-CNA-NonProfit piece that hit the interwebs yesterday. I want to take it down, I didn't really get my thoughts out the way that I wanted, but I don't like deleting things either. I will let it stay. I didn't want to turn it into a rant or defense of RCTV but I really think the "guts" of the story are pretty weak. I also think it was meant to be a "hit" piece, in that I mean that I think that there was more to the story than simply "coming upon the info" and deciding to print it.

The Catholic News Agency is a very reputable news site, but this story is below the pale. It seems more like something a more sensationalist news site would publish. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt: Voris is a hot topic, he is in WYD doing a much talked about set of talks, and info about his apostolate comes out - so they print it. I really want to believe that someone tossed them this story, said it came all nice and wrapped with a little bow, the writer reached out for comment, there was fear that someone was going to scoop them, and voila! the story runs. But, I don't think this is how it happened...

As I read more and more of the comments on other blogs, I really have to wonder if maybe this story didn't go to far. I know for me personally, it lowered my view of CNA a few notches. Not because they wrote a story against something I am a fan of, no, I think that RCTV messed up in failing to stay on top of their paperwork and Non-Profit status. CNA has dropped in my view because of the timing and nature of the piece. It wasn't professional on about 15 levels. The Anchoress has said so, and I even have a feeling that folks like Shea and others will come out saying something similar.

RCTV messed up, and Simon Rafe made some bad and sinful choices. The way the piece was written only fed into the sensationalism and gossip mentality of the online community by making it seem like these were earth shattering things that happened. My question is, where is the follow up? Rafe has put out a statement on the same blog that CNA quoted, why not an update to the original story or a new one? This isn't about truth or getting to the "bottom" of this story - it was a hit piece.

What say you all?


†††

No comments:

Post a Comment