Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Words are important... hand written ones even more so...



I received one of the most interesting and amazing hand written notes today. It came in a package of a gift that I purchased for my boss. I bought it from a national retailer; ParadisePen.com and made the purchase like I normally would. I signed onto their website, found what I was looking for, filled out all my info, put my desired "Gift Message" in the appropriate box, decided against the "premium wrapping" and clicked "CONFIRM."

A few days later I received my package and opened to inspect my purchase. I found it wrapped in nice paper. I was a little concerned that I clicked the expensive wrapping choice and extracted the shipping sheet. To my confusion out popped a little envelope with my name nicely written on the front. The note went on to explain that the person had recently spoken with my boss (an avid shopper from that store via the web) and was impressed with my gift selection. They also wanted to ensure that I did not pay for the wrapping, but that it was their "gift to me." They also thanked me very kindly for shopping with them, [I honestly purchased one of the least expensive things in their entire inventory] and left me their business card if I ever had any other needs from their store.

I was blown away. This manager pieced together from the order, the location, and then the name on the gift card whom I was purchasing it for. Now, this isn't just the person who packs the orders, this is the store manager who in the height of the Christmas season took not only to ensure that the order was properly packed, but looked over all the details of the order to make sure that everything was perfect. Upon discovering a familiarity with the recipient [from last name and location only] they then took the time to write a wonderful handwritten note AND hand wrap the gift for me.

I was floored. Don't get me wrong, I know this wasn't about me... it was about a valued customer, but in the end it was about me. Some random guy who obviously could barely afford to shop at their store received gold star treatment. It made me instantly want to sign on and buy a pen that would surely cause me to get in so much trouble from my better half, that I would surely be sleeping outside, in Alaska, for the next month. I didn't... because I am smart :), but I did realize that I could do something better.

I could tell all those that I know. Not only to shop at:


But also to remember to send handwritten notes. Not typed, not an email, and definitely not  text. A hand written note. It doesn't have to be a tome, a simple note card will do. It really will make all the difference especially to those that get you nice things this holiday or down the road that do the same.

Interestingly, I also received a second note today. It was typed and the mailing label was printed as well. Now this note came in a manner and for a reason that doesn't always call for a note follow, so the gesture was outstanding. Yet, it paled in comparison compared to the hand written one that I also received.

I know this post wasn't very "CATHOLIC" but it has inspired me to write a little bit more about "manners" and "chivalry." These dying terms and practices are a good way to bring the love and civility back to our culture. Once a long time ago such things fell under the title of: Etiquette. We Catholic men especially, have a great role model: Saint Joseph. I mean how many guys do you know that would walk 100 plus miles with a laboring woman? That is chivalry... that is some Etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment