Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ad Orientem: Or how to thank your priest on "Priesthood Sunday"



So bear with me on this post, but I got an idea and as some of you may know that can be dangerous.

I was reading my RSS feed and came across a post on the New Liturgical Movement about turning the Altars back "east," or at least saying Mass Ad Orientem. Check the post here: Reorient Those Altars Now
If you do any reading/research on Ad Orientem masses, you will find well reasoned arguments about why both priests and many parishioners favor it. For a priests take on it check out: Ad Orientem, posted by Fr. Longenecker over at "Standing on My Head." He is pretty passionate about it, and echoes what many other priests are saying; especially as more traditional worship styles are becoming more used and accepted.

You can find more posts by those who prefer such worhip behind these links:
Fr. Coulter
Adoremus.org by UM Lang
Bishop Slattery
and of course
one of many posts by: Fr. Z of WDTPRS?

This got me thinking? Why wouldn't a priest want to face God during Mass? Isn't that the point, to turn our hearts and souls toward God, and to worship him?  As I read some other posts, I cam across the fact that this sunday is "Priesthood Sunday," and of course we are in the year of the priest. (Priesthood Sunday Info) So I started thinking, "What better way to "Thank Our Priests" than by telling them that we want them to join us in "facing east" and worry less about entertaining us, worry less about OUR needs, and focus on God and his glory?"

We should all tell our priests that they should start saying mass Ad Orientem, not because we think it is better, but because it will give to them the gift of facing God during Mass. It will be OUR gift and our small sacrifice for them. In turn, as I am sure you realize, that the entire community with flourish and benefit.

So if you can't think of what to give your priest this Sunday, or what to do for him, send him the link to this post, or any other post about Ad Orientem Mass, I think he will get the point; plus who wouldn't want to look at some of these beautiful altars instead of staring at us? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment