Sunday, October 25, 2009

Question: Should lay women or religious women run parishes?

The reason I ask is because that is the situation that my family has found itself in. There are problems in our parish just like there are in any other parish, but some seem specific to the fact that lay people "run" the parishes. Some seem specific to the fact that they are female... but that is more difficult for me to "KNOW" and I have to really on others, specifically other females, to explain why that seems to be the case.

I ask this for two reasons: First, I had a conversation about this with a woman who has been a member of these parishes for quite a while and seems to think it is very problematic. Second, is based on a lot of talk about the Anglican situation, the Rome visitation on American Nun's, and the general liberal dislike for the "Reform of the Reform." Fr. Z has a great post about this general subject:
"The Nun's Story"

So I was just wondering everyone's view. I know it is hard to have this converation in today's "equality minded" society. Trust me, I am married to a very intelligent and strong woman. I also grew up around women who could run things better than most of the men I know. But I also have seen that men and women are very different, in both positive and negative ways and that one gender can do somethings not necessarily better than the other, but in a more efficient or positive way. I wonder if those is one of them? Or is this more of a perspective issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment